Thursday 24 July 2014

Canada to Mexico Day 6

Miles today = 56
Total miles = 260

It feels all squidgy.  I got a flat tyre today.  To tell the truth two flat tyres.  

I left Seattle very early this morning to catch the ferry back to Bremerton.  I had to sneak out because the rest of the household were still sleeping.  I got my stuff outside and the heavens opened.  It was pretty much like that all day and after the few beers I had the night before and the rain, you could say I was not as perky as I normally am in the morning.

I bought my ferry ticket $9 and went to get a protein box and a soya milk hazelnut latte from the Starbucks across the street.

As I waited for the ferry people were ducking for cover from the rain,  but I thought as I am going to be in this all day I might as well get used to it.

On the ferry it looked spectacular, again the mountains with snow on top just looked stunning and the little islands covered in fog were really erie.  The fog looked like it was trying to break free from the grasp of the forests.

Ducks were flying alongside the ferry, well a lot faster that the ferry and they were just a couple of inches above the water.  They looked so cute, they made me smile.  As I stood on the deck looking and the ducks and the islands with the beautiful houses.  It made me think that it looks so perfect it all looked like a model, the type of model that someone who has model railways would make.  It was peaceful.

Got of the ferry and it was still raining.  Plodding on I got to this forest and I had a thought, it would be really crappy to breakdown here in the middle of nowhere in this rain.  Hey presto, just as I had that thought a puncture.  Now when your bike is fully loaded up with gear a puncture is a pain.  You have to take all your gear off etc etc.  I did not have anywhere to lean the bike against so I was taking all the gear of and trying to hold the bike up as well.  Anyway, I got it fixed and went on my way.  I stopped for some flapjack and a coffee about 30 minutes later when I passed a little store. 

I carried on my travels up this hill which I was told by the guy is 27% in places and I believed him when I saw it.  Luckily it was short.  At the top though I thought I would just stick a bit more air in the tyre.  I like to travel at 120 psi.  It is just a mental thing that I want as little rolling resistance as possible.  But as I bent down with the pump I heard the hissing.  I found the lump of glass, removed it, peeled back the tyre and just stuck a patch on this time.

On my way once more.  I was travelling over some big hills and when I looked to the side.  I saw some more mountains with snow on top.  I did not expect it to look like this at all, they are everywhere and they are big.  I hit the city/town of Shelton and took cover I had a coffee whilst I waited for my host to arrive home from work.  I would still have another 16 miles to go to get to their house.

My hosts for this evening are Bob and Noreen.  I got to their house and it is beautiful, when I say beautiful I mean gorgeous.  It is right on the water.  They are so cool, done so much stuff including sailing, they have their own boat.  They have been so cool, the guest room is lovely, had a beautiful shower.  Had a beautiful tea and had my clothes washed and dried.  Cannot thank them enough!!!!


So despite the rain I am having a ball.  Noreen has showed me some pictures and given me tips of what it will be like further down on the trip and that is all the motivation you need!!




















































No comments:

Post a Comment