Sunday 24 August 2014

Day 35 Canada to Mexico

Day 35:  Canada to Mexico

Leo Corillo to Long Beach

70 miles / 1500ft Assent

Well can I say "Long Beach, Baby!"

Today we set off knowing that we were going to be back to the 60-70 mile mark having done a few easy days to make sure Carl was in LA to meet his flight without having to hang around.

There were quite a few hills at first and the assent is above the virtual flat that we had been on the last few days, still nothing to trouble someone that cycles around Yorkshire.  But the heat, it was hot hot hot right from the off today, you defo know you are in California now!!!

We went through Venice Beach and people had told us about the unusual sights and they were correct, there is a right mix of people in this area.

We stopped to get some things at a supermarket for our lunch and to make tea later.  This is when Carl left us to get a bike box and head back to the hotel he had booked.

Me and the lads stopped at a beautiful beach and made our sarnies, nothing can beat food on on the road, it just tastes so damn good.  The pasta with tuna and tinned veg that I make most nights is just amazing.  And I always look forward to my porridge with dried fruit and dark chocolate in the morning.

If you look at the photos I am always impressed by how quiet the beaches appear to be.  It was obvious that would be tha case up the coast but since Santa Barbara there has always been a city right up to the beach and yet they are not packed at all and it is a Saturday and bloody hot.

We have a warmshower host for tonight in Long Beach.  Her name is Karen I met her partner, Carl, on the road and he told me I should make contact and if Karen is free she may host us.  She is busy so she told me where the key would be hidden.  She left instructions for the washing machine, WiFi etc and told us to make ourselves at home.  I will repeat, a total stranger has given us the key to their beautiful house in Long Beach and we have been provided with the luxury of clean clothes, showers and a nice relaxing place to sleep.  Murdock said that he would have to do the same as well because he is a fireman he might have to be called away, so he said he would let people in his house if he was not there.  Can you believe the trust and kindness that is in the cycle touring community, it blows my mind away.  Thank you Karen and Carl and all the other hosts I have stopped with along the route.  You are all inspirational and make me want to help others out in a similar fashion.

Tomorrow we ride to 50 miles or so to camp at San Clemente State Beach Park, more camping on the coast :) then we have another 55 miles to a warmshower host called Julie in San Diego, then the trip is complete.  I will blast down to the border on my own whilst Eugune and Gab are sorting their bikes and I will meet back up with them when I return from the border to have a final meal before we all depart between the 26th and the 28th.  Gab is going back home to Uni, Eugene is going to ride further in to South America hopefully going to Costa Rica and me back to Halifax.

Five days left.  Lets enjoy and savour every moment and look at the beauty there is in everything!!!!









































































No comments:

Post a Comment